NFL PICK SIX (Week of Twelve)
By Ron Borges
Back-to-back sad weekends leaves me well below .500. I’ve at least avoided the fate of becoming the winless Dolphins but one can see that it is picks like this that have helped build Las Vegas.
This weekend we’ll try and do better. After going 1-5 last weekend one cannot do much worse. I was 3-0 over thanksgiving but unfortunately didn’t use any of those picks in the weekly selections. That’s what you get for focusing on the candied yams rather than on the job at hand.
On the up side, still at .500 on the Upset special and the Lockadini so if you overloaded on those games and ignored some of the others you’re ahead of the game.
1. WASHINGTON – 5 ½ vs. Buffalo – Some feel the Redskins may be adversely effected by the past week’s sad shooting death of safety Sean Taylor but I think the opposite is more likely. The Bills have rookie quarterback Trent Edwards back under center and their best RB ailing. Taylor’s friend, RB Clinton Portis would seem primed for a big game in honor of his fallen teammates. Lay the points and go with WASHINGTON.
NEARLY 50-50 CHANCE MEANS YOU LOSE THE VIG
2. ST. LOUIS -3 vs. Atlanta – The Rams have not been the same team since the return of running back Steven Jackson and that’s a good thing. They should have won the last three in a row and would have had they not bobbled a center snap. Assuming Jackson stays healthy he should run over the struggling Falcons. Interesting factoid of note: Atlanta coach Bobby Petrino has already lost as many games this season as he did in four years at Louisville. Don’t be surprised if he’s back in the college game before Michael Vick gets back in the NFL. Take the RAMS.
3. Denver – 3 ½ @ OAKLAND – There is no team Mike Shanahan hates more than the Raiders. Both these teams have many flaws but Oakland has more of them than Denver and things could be even worse if Daunte Culpepper isn’t able to play QB for the Raiders. Shanahan is 20-5 against the team that fired him. Don’t bet against the BRONCOS.
THIS IS WHY THEY CALL IT GAMBLING
4. Cleveland (pick ‘em) @ ARIZONA – You kidding me? The Cards are coming off a dismal loss to the 49ers. Cleveland is 7-4 and could put a solid death grip on a wildcard playoff slot if they can hold off a hungry Arizona team. I like rear naked choke holds over famine. Take the BROWNS.
5. CHICAGO +1 ½ vs. N.Y. Giants – When you can get a home underdog you have to think about it. When you can get a home dog with the kind of defense the Bears have against Eli Manning in the wind and cold you better take it. Grab the Bears and the points.
6. NEW ORELANS – 3 ½ vs. Tampa Bay – Logic says take the 7-4 Bucs, who can grab command of the NFC South if they win. Considering that the Saints’ running game is awful and their passing game, while potent, is facing an equally sound Tampa pass defense. So why are we picking the Saints and giving point to boot? Good question but without quarterback Jeff Garcia at full health the Bucs’ offense will have problems plus doesn’t Reggie Bush have to make a play before the year is out? Take the SAINTS but do so at your own peril.
Last week: 1-5.
Year to date: 7-17.
Upset special: 2-2
Tags: Game Predictions & Analysis · Football